Viito application version update… done.

It was a long time coming, but I finally found the time to respin the app to include iOS 11.0 support. This was requested by several people a good few times already, so I’m a little embarrassed it took this long to get done. As always, things were not as easy as it may seem – my old Macbook Pro had died on me, and I was unable to get its Time Machine backup to work.

Fortunately all of my source code is on a git server so nothing important was lost, and I was able to set up a clean MacOS install on my desktop under VMWare and hack away. Have to say, this Hackintosh system is working so well that I’m unlikely to get another Macbook replacement, especially since they don’t make 17″ models any more.

Sadly, the Android version is not complete yet. Too many projects, too little time. ūüôĀ

Web scraping papunet.net

I completed this weekend’s project of updating my web scraping script for papunet.net’s new site layout. The script is available under GPLv3 at github. The new script is better at getting at the right stuff, so there are now a couple hundred images more that it is able to scrape. I use this script to get the image data for Viito, so there is now an update pending that brings these new images available to the app as well.

As an item for future improvement to folks at papunet.net, it would be nice to have a more programmable API to accessing the image data. I wouldn’t mind being able to get the images as a zip file either.

Kuivausrumpu tukossa

Meillä on pesutornissa Siemensin lämpöpumpullinen kuivausrumpu, joka alkoi varoittamaan vesisäiliön täyttymisestä heti muutama minuutti ohjelman alkamisen jälkeen. Säiliössä ei kuitenkaan ollut koskaan kuin pieni loraus vettä. Googlailulla selvisi todennäköinen syy: kondenssivesi kerääntyy pumpun alle pieneen altaaseen, missä vaahtomuovinen pala nousee vedenpinnan mukana, kunnes osuu mikrokytkimeen aiheuttaen ohjelman katkeamisen. Ilmeisesti altaaseen kerääntyy aikaa myöten nöyhtää, joka estää vaahtomuovisen palan vapaan liikkumisen.

Aika selvä diagnoosi siis, joten ei kun purkamaan! Kannattaa varata aikaa kunnolla, sillä koneesta joutuu irroittamaan lähes kaiken: ohjainpaneelin, (edestäpäin katsottuna) oikean kyljen suojapaneelin, takapaneelin, katon ja rummun (joka lähtee takakannen kanssa yhtenä kappaleena).

Nyt toimii taas, eikä ruuvejakaan jäänyt yhtään yli.